What gifts should you get Gifts for PhD Students? This is the question that many people have asked themselves when they are looking for gifts to buy their graduate school friends and family members. It can be hard to find gifts, especially if you want to give them something useful but still fun! Fortunately, we’ve listed below the ideas to choose the best ones for Ph.D. students:
Table Of Content
- Things to mind about gifts for phd students
- 1. Start with a budget
- 2. Consider the person’s interests and hobbies
- 3. Buy something they can use for their work or study
- 4. Get suggestions from other Ph.D students on what to buy
- 5. Make sure it is not too personal
- 6. Avoid buying them food
- Frequently Asked Questions about gifts for phd students
Things to mind about gifts for phd students
1. Start with a budget
A budget is the first thing you should put into consideration when buying gifts for Ph.D. students
Gifts can be expensive, and sometimes your graduate school friend may not have a lot of money to spend on gifts. Some suggestions should be:
- Gift baskets with chocolates and other sweets.
- A book that is relevant or interesting to the student (For example: if they are working in a field where there’s not many books, getting them one would be an excellent idea)
- Gift cards for gifts shops such as Amazon.com or iTunes so they can buy what they want themselves and you don’t need to worry about spending too much money on gifts
However, there are also gifts that are inexpensive but still useful; if this is what you’re looking for then by all means go ahead with these items:
- Humorous coffee mugs
- Funny Keychain
- Water Bottle
- Customized Notebook
- Fuzzy Socks or Slippers
- Colored Pencils and Sketchpad for Artwork.
But make sure your budget stays within an affordable range so they don’t feel guilty accepting your gift or feeling bad about spending their limited funds on something else (like food).
2. Consider the person’s interests and hobbies
This helps a lot in narrow down the choices.
- For example, if you know they are into rock climbing or soccer and enjoy gifts with these themes then it’s an easy browsing process.
- There are some people who really like stationary items so paperclips or pens could be the perfect gift (even though this doesn’t seem related).
- Or maybe someone loves watching cooking shows on TV? You may not think of food as a typical present but fruit baskets or nice chocolate bars work well here!
You can also pick up something related to their majors as gifts for phd graduation:
- A Ph.D student studying the effects of climate change might enjoy an eco-friendly water bottle or a subscription to National Geographic magazine
- A Ph.D student who studies the stars might enjoy a telescope or popular astronomy magazine subscription.
- And of course, if you’re not sure what to get them: gift cards always work!
It’s the best if You can ask them about their hobbies and interests in order to find out what would suit them.
3. Buy something they can use for their work or study
You can never go wrong with things they use daily – students are not usually well off, so these will help a lot:
- A nice pen – every grad student needs one of these in their pocket at all times!
- A notebook – it’s always good to have an extra notebook handy when taking notes or working on assignments
- An organizer – keep track of your homework, upcoming assignments, and deadlines with a good organizer
- A case for their laptop – you know they need one of these! A lot of people are traveling with laptops in today’s world.
It is true that gifts don’t have to cost money- gifts like compliments or smile go a long way too! Remember though it will take some time and effort so be prepared. The gifts should reflect your relationship as well; think carefully about how close you two are before making any decisions on gifts.
4. Get suggestions from other Ph.D students on what to buy
If you are struggling to find out their interests, don’t hesitate to ask their friends or family for advice on what gifts they like and dislike.
Seeing gifts they have been given in the past may also give you some ideas. You should of course not give them what they already have, but you can get gifts that go with what they already have.
A simple gift card is always an option too; this way your Phd student friend doesn’t need to worry about spending time picking out the perfect present for you!
This last point may not seem important but remember gifts shouldn’t be things someone would buy themselves and therefore don’t really want (ahem, nice clothes). It’s best to ask around before buying anything so there aren’t any surprises!
5. Make sure it is not too personal
Unless you are close friends with the Ph.D student, don’t buy them anything too personal like underwear or lingerie.
On the other hand, choosing something customized will make them feel one-of-a-kind and they’ll treasure that gift longer than any others they receive!
- For example, customized mugs, tshirts, cards, etc
- Also consider making an experience into a gift! For example by cooking dinner together one night or going out for ice skating. This will provide memories your friend will cherish forever!
6. Avoid buying them food
You may want your gift to be used in a long time, while food could be seen as condescending or insulting.
Moreover, It may even go bad due to a variety of factors like allergies/diets etc., so consider gifting something else instead!
They’ll treasure the experience more than the actual thing!
For example: cooking dinner together one night, ice skating with them, going out and doing other activities). These will provide memories your friend will treasure.
There was a lot of valuable advice on gifts for Ph.D students in this article so I hope these ideas help everyone looking to give gifts to their favorite Phd student this holiday season! Don’t forget – It is important to find a gift that will make the giftee feel loved and appreciated. i hope this blog post did help you to get the most suitable one for your beloved person. If you have any other suggestion, don’t hesitate to leave it in the comment section below. Happy shopping!