What do I want for my birthday? It’s a question that many of us ask ourselves every year. Maybe it’s what we want to wear, what we want to eat, what we want in our stocking, or what gift cards and cash (or other gifts) we need… but what do you really WANT for your birthday? To help figure out the answer to this age-old riddle, here are some questions to ask yourself that may give you an idea of what you truly desire.
Considerations when finding What do i want for my birthday?
1. Think about your hobbies
Let’s take into account your interests.
- Maybe one idea would be buying gardening gloves so that next year as soon as they’re out in stores (or even sooner if possible) you can start planting the seeds in this new plot of land behind your house!
- If you are a big foodie, what about a cookbook with recipes for the latest and greatest in culinary trends?
- If you’re all about music then what better gift than to get tickets to your favorite band’s next concert or even an autographed album from them!
- Maybe you are into gaming… what if I got a ticket for that upcoming video game release of their choice? Just imagine how excited you’ll be!
There are so many different things someone could want. It might take some time but thinking through these questions should lead you in the right direction as long as there is no one else who will provide more accurate information on what you may like best.
2. Ask your friends for ideas, or use social media to see if anyone has the same thing as a gift idea
You may want to look at your friends’ wishlist to check on your own? Or you may want to get a sense what they’re into by looking at their social media pages.
- It’s holiday and your friends are travelling a lot. How about you? Would you like a picnic trip? Or would you like things to prepare for your next travel like backpack, sunglasses, suncream…?
- Do you and your friends share passion about fashion? If so, it’s good to put tranding clothes/accessories into your wishlist. New clothes from H&M or Zara stores with less than $100 price tag, for example.
We all have different interests and hobbies, which makes it hard sometimes because we can’t just ask what do you want for your birthday– but luckily there are plenty of ways to figure this out with these ideas!
3. Write down a list of things that are on your wishlist and narrow it down from there
It makes sense that we sometimes are bewildered by our own needs, which makes us either want A LOT or want NOTHING. So first, try writing down your wishlist and narrow it down from there.
For instance, your wishlist goes with:
- A new pair of shoes
- Long sleeves shirt from Urban Outfitters with the saying ‘don’t touch my hair’ or any other cool design
- What about those really cute earrings that are in shape like little hearts from Forever 21, can come and see what they have to offer me. They might be worth taking a trip over there!
From this list we would know what kind of things you like– so maybe what you could get is jewelry instead of clothes as something more personal but not too expensive because your main interest seems to be accessories.
4. Consider whether or not you really need the item
You may want a lot, but actually just need a few. Here are some questions to narrow down your wishlist:
- Is it something that will be used often?
- Can your life go well without it?
- Does it fit with your lifestyle?
- Is this something that will make me happy every time I look at it or use it?
- Will this present be as good a year from now as they are right now? If not, then maybe think about getting something else.
Consider whether or not you really need the item before suggest someone give it to you. Do your research and consider what’s available to purchase online so that there is no pressure of purchasing an impulse buy.
5. Think of your gifter’s status
Better be thoughtful and think of “what should I ask for my birthday” before you suggest anyone buy something for you.
Understanding what the person who is giving you a gift has to spend, and what they are able to give will help determine what kind of gift would be best.
- If your gifter is on a tight budget, think about how much money they have available for gifts versus other bills.
- If your gifter does not need anything yourself then it’s likely that this person will want to get something special for you so take some time considering what may make them happy as well!
If the gifter is not in town, you can suggest them sending an online gift card, or have the gift deliver via online purchasing sites such as Amazon, Etsy,…
Last but not least, you will need to prepare a brithday gift for your gifter in the future. At that case, make your birthday gift suggestion affordable for yourself, so that you can buy them something similar in return!
6. Remember birthdays are just one day out of 365 days of the year
Don’t let them stress you out when there’s so many other things going on.
Birthdays are a great opportunity to reflect on the person you are and to set goals for the person you want to be. To get started, think about the things that make me happy. What activities do I enjoy most? What do I need more of in my life or what am I lacking? How can I create more meaningful relationships? Try and come up with some concrete steps so you can make sure that next year’s birthday is even happier!
A few last words
I hope you found this blog post to be helpful and informative. Did you succeed in finding what YOU want for your birthday? How was your birthday going?
Let me know in the comments below! Happy birthday to you!