It’s always a good idea to thank your boss and coworkers for the time you spent working with them. If you’re leaving, there are many ways to thank your boss for all that they’ve done for you- one of those being through thank you gifts. In this blog post, we’ll show how choosing an appropriate thank you gift can be tricky; but it doesn’t have to be!
Considerations when choosing thank you gift for boss when leaving job
1. Consider what your boss might enjoy
It’s best to think about the thank you gift for your boss that they would enjoy. It doesn’t have to be expensive, but it should be something meaningful.
- For example, if your boss is into running or golfing, consider a thank you gift certificate towards new running shoes or an airline ticket with airport lounge access for when they travel for work.
- If she is into reading, a good thank you gift for female boss when leaving job can be a book or two from her favorite genre or author.
- If she’s into cooking, give the thank you gift certificate to their favorite restaurant and thank them for always providing meals during your time with the company.
If it seems like there is nothing in particular they might enjoy that fits what they’re interested in, then consider giving something small- but try not to go too cheap!
- Perhaps an Amazon eGift card or some other thoughtful thank you gifts can help make up for this deficiency.
2. Make it personal
It’s also a good leaving work gifts to make it personal.
For example, if there was something that the two of you shared in common or discussed on more than one occasion, thank your boss with this item as a thank you gift.
- This could be anything from an unusual book they had recommended and wanted but couldn’t get themselves to buy because of its price
- Or any type of expensive perfume that she likes wearing;
- Or even tickets to see her favorite sports team play their next match.
If nothing comes up while brainstorming what would work best through previous points listed above about considering what your boss might enjoy, then consider giving something personalized like engraved items such as pens or wine glasses.
3. Get creative with the gift – make them something, write a poem or song about them
- If they’re a wine lover, consider buying them a membership to their favorite winery;
- Or perhaps make them something special- like an ornament made with your picture in it.
- A thank you poem or song is another idea that could really show how much they’ve meant to you!
4. Give only if they have been good to you and/or given you opportunities to grow in your career
Should i buy my boss a gift when leaving? Definitely. It is a nice way to show your appreciation.
A thank you should be given only if they have been good to you and/or given opportunities for growth in their career. If not, it may seem awkward or insincere- so just keep that in mind!
5. If unsure, give a nice bottle of wine or flowers as this is always appropriate for any occasion
If you are unsure what to choose, a nice bottle of wine or flowers are always appropriate- just make sure its thoughtful.
- It should also be noted that if your boss doesn’t drink alcohol, any liquor based thank you gifts are probably inappropriate; without turning into a wine tasting event where others may want to have a glass.
- If you are prone to choose a flower bouquet, make sure to check your boss’s allergy related to flower.
6. Be thoughtful when giving gifts and remember that anything too extravagant will not be appreciated as much as something simple but heartfelt
A thank you gift for boss when leaving job should be thoughtful and not too extravagant- it’s the thought that counts. I
t doesn’t have to be expensive but any thank you gifts given will mean more if they’re heartfelt.
If unsure, think of what might interest your boss such as a coffee mug with their favorite quote on it or wine glasses from there home country!
A few last words
I hope this article has helped you find a great way to say goodbye and thank your boss. Remember that it’s always better to be safe than sorry, so if the idea of giving them something they don’t want or need makes you feel uneasy then do not give it! If you still have questions about what would make an appropriate gift for your manager, just ask us in the comment section below. We’re here to help!